Pages

Monday, November 21, 2011

What to Expect when You're Expecting

As I read, “What to Expect When You’re Expecting” this weekend JCH kept asking, “well, do you know what to expect yet?” (very cheeky JCH). My answer, no.  Okay, maybe I know what to expect in very basic terms, but I’ve got more questions.  Questions that I would assume that any modern day woman would want to know, but those questions aren’t answered-not in the book anyway. 
Here are my questions:
  • Is there a safe method to highlighting my hair during pregnancy? Do I have to wait until my second trimester? Is it the fumes I breathe in that are harmful or the chemicals that soak into my scalp?  I'm not above attempting the "lemon juice" method if it will prevent a "root attack".
  • Can I get my nails painted? Again, are the fumes harmful? If it’s the fumes, can I wear a mask to help? My toes have been slightly neglected since losing both "big toe" nails due to apparently not knowing how to correctly kick a bouncy ball while playing intramural kickball this summer (that sounds even worse when I read it aloud).
  • Is it safe to go out on our boat in my first trimester?  Or is it too bumpy? It’s safe to say that boating season will be over in January so I’d like to take advantage now.
  • Are my stilettos safe? Most everyone I know says that they are (other than JCH he demands I wear flats) but what are the risks?
  • Can I watch scary movies? This may sound like the silliest question, but scary movies get my adrenaline pumping and heartrate speeding like a crazy person.  Can that be safe for a developing embryo?   

Well, those are my “modern day woman” questions that haven’t been answered yet.  Maybe the book is saving that for later (I have only read up to 5 weeks). 

Other fun things to share….
I am 5 weeks pregnant (yesterday).  Our first ultrasound is set for December 1st!!!! J EEEEEEEEEE!!!! We MAY (key word: "may") find out if there is more than one baby roasting in this oven on that day.  I will be almost 7 weeks by then so hopefully we will see a heartbeat (or two)!  My HcG levels were 301 on the day that I was 4 ½ weeks pregnant…not sure but that sounds high from what I’ve read (Is that a sign that there are multiples? Am I reading into it? Wishful hoping?).
Also, I’ve commissioned JCH to turn our office/gym into a YOGA room (that is after he completes the dining room table that he is building me).  We’ve got a small mounted TV and yoga mat in there- just absolutely no room to spread out.  We’ve got to get in there and rearrange and make room for my daily meditation, stretching and exercise (I’m already feeling the hips and saddlebags growing).  Anyone have a good recommendation on videos for prenatal yoga? 

What else is new...
I'm SUPER tired!  This "non napper" is officially a "napper" now.  I have always really disliked napping and now I find myself taking a nap whenever I can squeeze one in (I contemplated the kitchen table in the break room at work today-probably a good choice that I didn't).

NO MORE INJECTIONS! Yes, I celebrated!  Thursday was the last shot and boy was it one to remember!  (good visual here) JCH couldn't find a spot on my rear-end that didn't have a knot in it so he went with it...apparently my body had decided it had had enough and the fluid and blood starting spewing out of the injection site...JCH compared it to looking like a lava lamp.  Well no more of that.  My rear-end is slowly starting to heal but the nurse said she has seen some women come into to give birth and still have knots on their butt. YIKES! Let's hope not.

5 WEEKS-no visual difference-still fun though

6 comments:

  1. Hello! I am a devoted reader of your blog and have enjoyed following your progress! (I found your link on Tamra's page!)

    Anyway, I am 18 weeks pregnant!!!! and thought I could help answer some of the questions you have!

    1) As far as the highlighting goes, this is up to your OBGYN. It seems that more and more say yes however. The 'danger' is in the fumes so as long as you are in a well ventilated area, you should be fine. I made sure to ask for Aveda products when I went to make sure I was as natural as I could be while still getting the effect that I wanted.

    2) Nailpolish = same as highlights. Make sure you're in a well ventilated area!

    3)Don't know about the boat, but that's where I would have erred on the side of caution. We had the opportunity to ride a hay ride at a wedding a few weeks ago and chose the less fun shuttle instead. JUst want to keep that baby safe! Your OBGYN may have more thoughts.

    4)Stilettos are safe! Just remember that your center of gravity is changing quickly and you don't want to take a fall! Trust me, as a fellow shoe diva, you will get to a point where you CRAVE your flats!

    I am SOOO thrilled for you! I know we have not met and probably never will, but your journey touched my heart! Enjoy everyday, every saddlebag, every queasy stomach, every trip to go pee. This is such a cherished time! I can't wait for your 7 week appointment! Seeing that little heartbeat is so amazing! And just a tip - if you have a phone that has a voice recording or voice memo feature, use it to record that hearbeat! That way, you can listen to it to your heart's desire!

    Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Rosemary answered them all! I don't remember much since it's been 5 years for me but here you go.

    I didn't highlight. i let my gray show. it wasn't pretty! I got my toes painted regularly. It felt soooo good! but then i couldn't really see my feet but i knew they looked nice! I don't think i went on any boats. but i did work a different 60+ hr a week job. no time for that! I don't think it would be too bad but i would ask! I was a tennis shoe kind of girl back then (i'm a little different now, huh?)i say skip the REALLY high ones. it's the fall you should be worried about.

    I can't wait for Dec 1st! if you are going to paint with us that night, we will have a reason to celebrate!!!! i will bring the sparkling cider!!! no alcohol for you!

    Again, I am SUPER excited for you and can't wait until we can see your baby (babies?) bump!!

    Whit

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS - How cool that someone you don't even know reads your blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Casey! So funny, I had most of these same questions. "What to Expect" is a really annoying book...I felt like they said in 400 pages (or whatever it is) what they could've said in 150. The book just keeps yammering on & on. But, alas, I still thought it was a helpful read for a first-time mama. I also read "The Mayo Clinic Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy," but it covered most of the same stuff as "What to Expect" so I wouldn't bother with it. When you get closer to your due date, I highly recommend "The Happiest Baby on the Block" (so great!) and "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Baby" - which is unorganized and heavy-handed, but what I learned from this book about infant sleep (which is different from adult sleep) has been invaluable.

    Anyway, ditto on the hair coloring and manicures, it's the fumes, so if you do it make sure you're in a well-ventilated area and ask about natural products.

    I wouldn't worry about the boat rides since you are in the very early stages - that baby (those babies??!) is/are well protected. Think of all the layers of muscles, fluid, etc. between him/her and the outside world. Our bodies are built to protect what's growing inside!

    I had to laugh at your question about scary movies! Of course they are ok, but when I was pregnant, I was like you...at any given time I had at least 50 outrageous questions floating around in my head...you worry/wonder about everything!

    Anything you're not sure about, even if it seems silly, ask your OB...I'm sure he's heard crazier before. :)

    Yay for December 1st!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yeah, I wore my stilettos till the bitter end! The only danger is that , like your other friend said, your center of gravity gets a bit off - but that doesn't happen until you're much farther along and you actually have a big belly. If you're still in heels at that point, just make sure you're extra careful you don't fall!

    ReplyDelete
  6. pppfffew so relieved that y'all didn't all laugh at my questions! Rosemary-congratulations on your pregnancy-SO EXCITING!! Y'all have made me feel slightly better but I will probably follow your advice and harrass my doctor with my silly questions. Until then, looks like no hair appointments and more shopping around for cute flats! I love y'all!!!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?