Pages

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

OUCH! OUIY! and OH!

Yesterday was my "trial transfer" and sonogram.  I was told this would be a quick and easy procedure and therefore I told JCH I didn't need for him to come with me for this appointment.  Boy was I eating my words while sitting in those stirrups.  OUCH!

I'm sure you're wondering (as was I) what a "trial transfer" entails.  Not everyone's anatomy is according to "text book" and come to find out mine is quite different (but we'll get to that later).  So, what they do is use a sonogram and a catheter to "find their way" through the cervix and into the uterus, basically recording the measurements along the way in order to assist with making the process go much smoother on our actual "retrieval day". 

I think this is typically an "uncomfortable" procedure.  For me it was more than uncomfortable because of my retroverted uterus which according to the doctor made navigating through MUCH more difficult (and painful).  Once the doctor would turn a corner with the catheter he would wiggle it around moving it closer and further away from the sonogram (my belly) to be sure he was documenting the measurements correctly (that was awful).  Than he would PUSH HIS WAY around another corner (which was more than awful).  Plus I should also mention that I was told to come to this appointment with a "comfortably full bladder"...sooo pretty much the entire time I felt like I was going to pee on the doctor.  *I am also told afterwards that my bladder wasn't quite as full as they want for the actual "retrieval day"...which means I'm almost guaranteed to pee on him on October 4th. "Just another day at the office...got peed on during an egg retrieval"...lol...OUIY!!!

(If you are going through this in the near future, I wouldn't fear the "trial transfer" based on my experience, I think it's typically not that bad, I just have a silly backwards uterus.)

OH! We also started looking into "sperm donors" more seriously to have as a "PLAN B" (which more than anything in this world I hope we get to stick with PLAN A) but we still must be prepared.  It was funny last night going through these guys profiles and personal essays.  Some were extremely boring and generic and some actually pretty interesting.  We've "saved" 2 profiles as potential donors-which is a HUGE STEP!! I'm pretty sure we need to have this decision made by the end of the week! I'll keep you posted- of course! :) 

6 comments:

  1. Casey, I am just reading through your blog for the first time tonight! HOW AMAZING! I thank you for sharing such open, honest dialogue with us about your experiences. I love the humor & great images you have posted too. I look forward to reading about everything & getting to go on this "journey" with you guys. I know you guys are going to make great parents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you get to stick to Plan A too! Sorry about this latest appointment - ouch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a retroverted uterus too!!! Good to know I'm not the only one in the family, and I feel your pain, it does make things just a little more difficult and painful! I say "pee on the Dr. on retrieval day," it would make my day! XOXO, Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Steph and DCD..I'm so glad y'all are following! Bri-"retroverts unite"! :P Oh and now I might enjoy peeing on the doctor after today's little scenario! (that's terrible to say--and gross--and I'm only kidding)

    ReplyDelete
  5. One more month Case! Prayers are ALWAYS with you!!! PS...I love your hump day joke! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Casey I'm so excited...I can't wait to hear how it goes. I too hope you get to stick with plan A....

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?