Pages

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Preparation H

Yeaaah this post has nothing to do with hemorrhoids and/or beauty queen secrets for under-eye bags….it’s about “preparing the Hoffman uterus”…I just couldn’t help myself with the bad pun. J

The doctor called yesterday to discuss birth control.  When we initially spoke about whether or not I would go on birth control to help regulate my hormones (prior to the first IVF cycle) the doctor wasn’t convinced that it was necessary.  He changed his mind.  What does this mean?  Well, the IVF cycle will be pushed back 1 more month (countdown to September 26th anyone?).  This is good news though!

Taking every precaution to ensure that implantation will be successful is wonderful news.  PLUS this gives me more time to wean my body off of caffeine—I sure am going to miss my coffee!  This also gives me more time to get my body (and womb) in prime condition.  I’ve been given some instructions and have read loads of recommendations online about what to eat, what not to eat, how much exercise is appropriate, vitamin and herbal supplements, standing on my head twice a day…okay that part isn’t true…but there really are so many superstitions out there!

A BIG change that I am trying to make is eating better!  I’m supposed to stick to “lean meats-with about 60g of protein a day and lots of fruits, veggies and H²O”.  I’m supposed to stay away from “chocolates, processed foods and foods with high sugar content”.  Sadly, processed foods are a huge percentage of my food intake—I know, terrible.  Another hurdle here is cooking for two people with very different recommended diets.  John has been eating meat and potatoes as a diet regimen his whole life and I’ve catered to that, now I need to cater to my uterus!

PLEASE share any recipes and raw vegetable dishes that you enjoy that may be helpful to the Hoffman household and wish us luck with this new endeavor!

Oh yes, and I should be receiving my custom protocol (day-by-day “play book” of what appointments will be necessary once I begin my period in September and what will happen at each appointment) in the next week or so…sooo stayed tuned for the fine details of the upcoming processes. 



8 comments:

  1. I just spit out my drink reading Prep H!! Like we discussed, this is great news, and allows you to nest your womb to perfection. Good luck going sans coffee my dear, I know you can do it! Just prepare others around you. j/k I need to be healthier anyway, so I'll start the nutrition plan with you. xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES! I will share easy and delicious recipe finds if you will too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Popped over here while on one of my many "walks with Bella"-
    Eating a meditteranean diet can be very beneficial - lots of veggies, legumes, and low protein and good fats. I always think of a diet as what you would feed your little one. Good luck with all of this.
    pve

    ReplyDelete
  4. PVE-Thanks and glad you stopped by! Want to share any recipes with this "green healthy eater"??

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Casey! First of all, you were my study break today...and you're hilarious. LOL Love this! Second, I don't know how people who get prego are able to do the whole,"no-(legal)drugs-thing"---I don't know what I would do without my migraine meds so, power to you! Strong chica right there...
    OK! so, since you have to do the whole "healthy-eating" thing....I wanted to share something with you! Since college I've made it a goal of mine to always try to eat healthy---and it's gotten easier over the years...but there are a few tricks I've learned. First, you can make any lean meat taste delicious with a good olive oil and lots of spice (not salt...spice) doesn't mean it has to be spicy, just to add lots of flavor...nice little fiesta in the mouth. I've tried a TON of spices over the years (I make it sound like I am 50....) and my all-time favorite, hands-down, bar none...Morton and Bassett spices. Absolutely amazing. Their Cajun and their Italian spices especially..put those bad boys on anything with just a dash of sea salt and you have yourself a good time. Here is their website so you can see what their product looks like. http://www.mortonbassett.com/
    Also, when buying olive oil, look for products that are cloudy in appearance, cold-pressed, unfiltered---and aren't expired. It's also better to buy the smaller bottles and use them quickly since olive oil can go rancid. One more thing, my own personal favorite dish (and I don't know if you can have this--my friend Martha couldn't have fish when she was prego...not sure if it's the same when you are trying to get there....) is tilapia with black beans, chopped onions, tomatoes and bell peppers with morton and bassett Cajun spice ...sprinkle a dash of sea salt and some olive oil and broil it until it's done. Yum.
    Good luck and keep the laughter going----you guys are fantastic!!!! :) ----(hope none of this makes me sound like a pretentious boob..........)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tami! Thanks so much for ALL of the cooking tips!!! I haven't been cooking that long so little tips to help things taste better (without tons of butter or salt) is a HUGE plus! and p.s. you do not sound like a pretentious boob! You sound like an awesome friend sharing her expertise!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The good thing about being in Charleston is having so many vegan-hippy food places! I highly recommend Black Bean Cafe (there's one downtown on Spring st., and one on James Island). Earthfare actually has lots of good prepared healthy food too! And my favorite place to get fresh fruits and veggies is the market downtown on Saturdays. And since you need to work out more, I think we should schedule a yoga and farmers market day! I haven't seen you in forever and I miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Let's get this on the calendar ASAP Megs!!! I couldn't ask for a better Saturday-than yoga, shopping and Megan time!!! Thanks for the tip on Earthfare--I would love some healthy options for food that is already prepared! :) I need a day-off every once in a while! ;)

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?