Pages

Friday, March 16, 2012

Mocktails and MooMoo's

Not feeling very COOL lately guys!  I think the idea that I am no longer cool has been lingering in the back of my mind for a month or two, but recently HIT my conscious thought process a few days ago when I was shopping for maternity dresses online for a wedding.

I have always LOVED fashion and have always been known in my circle as being slightly edgy and wearing the “weird” hipster stuff that most people choose not to pick up from runways or celebs (AND I LOVED THAT).  I love clothes and fashion- it’s such a unique way to express yourself and define your individuality.  Why is it that being a “mom” or “soon to be mom” means that you can’t be fashionable (unless you have a huge budget of course)?  I do give the clothing stores, who sell maternity clothes, some credit by supplying clothes that actually FIT pregnant women…but why can’t they just take normal (fashionable) clothes and make a little extra room?  It’s like they are “dumbing down” fashion for those who are “expecting”…leaving me “expecting” more!  Okay so that’s my rant…I’m a little “put out” with maternity clothes and am not feeling like my normal self lately…unable to express my individuality through fashion (I warned you I can be slightly overdramatic)!  In a month or two I will probably look back at this post, 20 pounds heavier (and happily wearing a moo-moo) and laugh that I was so silly about "being fashionably pregnant".

Last night I finally did it! I got my hair done!  I have been putting this off with all of the mixed reviews of why coloring your hair during pregnancy is or isn’t bad for you.  My stylist is amazing!  She made sure to foil so that none of the chemicals touched my scalp and provided me with the seat next to the front door (that she propped open just so I wouldn’t be breathing in any fumes).  I felt 100% confident that our little boy was just fine and can I tell you that MAMA is now more than fine!  When she was done with my color, cut and blowout I felt like ME again!  I honestly felt like I needed to put on my most fashionable outfit (oh wait I don’t have any that fit) and meet some ladies out for cocktails (or at least I would have a “mocktail”)!!! J

Today I even wore HIGH heels to work!! I’m back! LOL but seriously I haven’t worn high heels to work since “IMPLANTATION DAY”….which for those who may not know that date by memory (like I do) it was October 30th! It’s amazing what a pair of stilettos and a trip to the salon will do for your confidence.

Another reason I am feeling REALLY cool today (okay not THAT cool) is that I created a “youtube channel” for our family.  It’s what all the kids are doing nowadays!  I hated that I didn’t have a way to share my last video…and now we have another video that MUST be shared…especially with y’all who I feel are my best and closest!  A few months ago JCH was “nominated” by his doctors to be a spokesperson for a new drug that literally has changed his life- Cayston (see Holidaze).   Cayston is one of the newest drugs that treat Cystic Fibrosis and by far the best!  John's breathing treatments take an hour each morning and each evening (with drugs other than Cayston) and new drug, Cayston, only takes a few minutes.  Drugs like this are changing the lives of those with Cystic Fibrosis and the ongoing support and donations from my “best and closest” are what make that possible.  Since I began my journey as a "CF Wife" (what they call me at the foundation) and advocate for raising funds and awareness for Cystic Fibrosis I have seen my efforts and money make such a difference in not only Johns life but of the many people I have been honored to know who are also affected by CF.  There is a cure within our reach and financing the research is the only thing that stands in its way!  So check out our video (warning: it’s kind of a tear-jerker) AND check out my link to my Great Strides page where I have just kicked off my fundraising efforts for the event on May 12th.  Please help me make CF stand for CURE FOUND!
donate to my cause

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on the vid and Great Strides!

    Enjoy being pregnant! It goes so fast. Do you have a belly yet? I think getting the belly part is fun. There actually is some pretty cute stuff for pregos as far as fashion ... have you tried Gap Maternity? Or the link I put on your FB page? But you are right ... in a while, I'm guessing comfort and rest will trump all!

    -Tara
    http://madmaxandfamily.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tara-I cant wait to be a mom but I dont know what there is to enjoy about pregnancy...lol...only kidding! I do love my little kicks from baby boy...by far one of the most miraculous things I may ever experience! Yes Gap Maternity isn't THAT bad...and the website you sent was def one of the best I've seen...but a little pricey. Thanks for the help and support-you have been so great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Casey, this theme will play out over & over again on an endless loop from now until forever! There's no avoiding it, but do remember to make a little time for yourself when you can, especially these next few years. It's amazing what some new color and a pair of your highest heels can do for your state of mind, even if you're not going anywhere other than home & work! Becoming a mother will change you, but you'll always be fabulous YOU - only stronger, braver, smarter, and filled with more love than you'd ever imagine. And btw, if you ever DO find somewhere that sells decent maternity clothes at a reasonable price, share your secret! I personally don't think such a place exists. :)

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?